Dry Up A Cold Sore with Oregano Essential Oil
This site may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, Metronome Wellness may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Last weekend was extremely busy, we were nonstop from one activity to the next. And being in the sun most of the time didn’t help, I’m sure, but I woke up Monday morning with that all too familiar tingle on my top lip. Yep! A cold sore was brewing.
Typically, I will get a cold sore 2-3 times per year, and I hate them- they suck! Nothing like walking into a sick patient’s room to do a test for them, looking a little sick and ran down yourself. It’s embarrassing, and other than going to work, I try to hibernate.
Things I’ve Tried
In the past I have had a prescription for Valtrex. It does a great job at shortening the time, but I am not a fan of prescription drugs, so I try to avoid doing that anymore. I have used natural, homeopathic gels and creams and found most of them didn’t really cut it. I have also tried tea tree essential oil, and it worked okay, but wasn’t stellar.
What REALLY WORKS
I always reach for the L-Lysine, an amino acid and protein building block. Check out this great article from Dr. Axe https://draxe.com/l-lysine-benefits/to learn about the many other benefits of L-Lysine. This time, I tried using Oregano Essential Oil and it was amazing! I simply put 1 drop on a Q-tip, undiluted, and just sat it on the cold sore for a few minutes, a few times a day. If you try this, be super careful not to get the oil anywhere else on your face, or you may want to dilute with a carrier oil to be safer.
Oregano Essential Oil is a very “hot” oil and will burn, like no other! But guess what? In a matter of a day, the cold sore was already drying up! And I sit here on Friday with nothing but a little dry patch on my top lip. Normally, it would take a couple weeks of hiding from the world before it would start to clear up. From now on, I am going straight to the Oregano Oil.
What is Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of oregano herb and has the following properties:
- Immune Boosting
Other Uses for Oregano Essential Oil
- Supports the Immune System (combine with carrier oil and rub on bottom of feet)
- Carpal Tunnel & Rheumatism (Apply diluted to painful area)
- Skin Blemishes and Imperfections (A drop on a q-tip, place on affected area, dilution recommended)
- Disinfectant (In a glass spray bottle, add to white vinegar, water, and lavender essential)
- Staph and MRSA (so potent it can help fight against these nasty bugs!)
- Small dosages recommended
- Dilution with carrier oil only, do not use water to dilute.
- If you need to remove it, use a carrier oil such as jojoba, water will not remove it.
- Not recommended during pregnancy
Always use a pure, superior, therapeutic grade oil such as DoTerra. If you are not already a wholesale member and are interested in the benefits, email me and I can help you set up your account. email@example.com.