Gift Ideas for Kids that Encourage a Healthy Lifestyle
This site may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, Metronome Wellness may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Christmas is fast approaching, before we know it, we’ll be putting the lights on the tree. I honestly, can’t wait, it’s my favorite time of year. I love all the festivities, the lights, the smells, the joy it brings my kids, and yes, even the cheesy Christmas songs that my husband despises.
With Christmas comes the gift giving tradition. Of course kids love to receive presents, but it’s also important to teach them first and foremost the true meaning of Christmas and secondly, how special it can be to give gifts as well.
Homemade gifts are always the best especially from kiddos. We spent last weekend crafting and getting ideas on what we could make everyone this year. My son saved some tin cans that he’s painting and wrapping with yarn to make pencil holders and candles. My daughter loves to draw and is using her all of her art supplies to make canvas art. It’s one of our favorite things to do and a great way to spend some quality time together! I hope they always enjoy this, because handmade gifts really come from the heart.
What are the Best Gifts for Kids
What’s on your kids Christmas list this year? Is it electronics? I would venture to guess, the majority of older kids these days are asking for some type of electronic or video game. It is what it is, but as parents we have a responsibility to take care of our children’s health so let’s make some healthy gift giving choices this year by choosing activity-based gifts over screens! Here’s my list of ideas, I hope they inspire you to make your children’s health a priority when buying their gifts this year.
Non-Screen Christmas Gift Ideas
- Activity watch such as Garmin Vivofit Jr. My son and daughter both have one, in fact they’ve used them so much, they’re both on their second one. This little watch tracks their steps, daily activity, quality of sleep. The best part is that’s it’s waterproof so it can be worn in the shower and while swimming. The watch links to an app on your phone so you can keep track of their daily activity. It’s a super fun way to encourage your kiddos to be active EVERY DAY!
- Yoga Mat – Yoga mats are great. Kids need to stretch daily and giving them a special mat to do that on, will make them more likely get into the habit of regular stretching. There are some very pretty and fun mats available so you don’t have to go with the plain-Jane ones anymore.
- Yoga game – Think Fun Yoga spinner game for kids. We have this game as well. My kids and I love to play it together. Such simple concept, you spin the spinner and wherever you end up is the pose you do. There are even fun partner poses that will get you laughing and working together as a family!
- Turasa – Yoga and fitness board game. I saw this game on Amazon and thought it looked super cool. It’s a board game for the whole family to get you playing together instead of vegging out in front of the TV.
- Namaste – Stress Relief Cards. Check these out, what better way to encourage self-care than giving them ideas on how to relieve stress in a fun interactive way.
- Water Bottle – Kids need to drink water daily. Giving them a fun water bottle to decorate, put stickers on, and be proud of will make them a little more willing to chug that water frequently and hydration is important in so many ways.
- Shoes – Kids need good shoes, especially if they’re super active. Christmas is a good time to splurge on those super cool shoes that will hopefully make your kids feel the extra support they need to run, jump, and get moving and grooving more comfortably, and feel cool while doing it.
- Healthy Cookbook for Kids – Do you have an aspiring chef in the house? My daughter loves to cook and bake. What better way to get their future cooking and baking careers started than a healthy cookbook with beautifully, easy recipes?
- Ice Cream maker – Okay who doesn’t love ice cream? Who wishes they could eat it every day? Kids! With an at home ice cream maker you can control the ingredients. It’s easy to make a low sugar, banana ice cream using the milk of your choice. The kids will love the freedom they get when choosing the flavors.
- Crafts – I think this goes without saying, crafts are always a fun way to encourage kids to use their imaginations. Here are just a few of my kid’s favorites: Yarn Crafts, Crystal Growing Kits, Slime.
- Coloring books and supplies – Coloring has been proven to reduce stress and anxiety. What a great outlet for your kids. Add this to their self-care tools!
- Essential Oil Diffuser – Each of my kids have a diffuser in their rooms and we use them every night. Sometimes, it’s for helping to suppress seasonal threats with Peppermint, Lemon, and Lavender. Most of the time, we use them to promote a restful night of sleep with Lavender, Cedarwood, or Serenity. I highly recommend a diffuser with soft lighting and multiple time settings so that it’ll shut itself off after a couple of hours. Your child will love how nice it makes their room smell, not realizing the amazing benefits they’re receiving along the way!
- Gym Membership – What about a family gym membership? One with a pool? This gift is one that keeps on giving the whole year round it makes a great family gift. They say “a family that plays together, stays together!”
- Activity Camps and lessons – Do you have a little athlete in your family? Think tennis lessons, or a 6 week trial of a new sport. Last year we bought hitting lessons for my son who loves baseball. My daughter is the musician in the family and loves any kind of musical instrument she can get her hands on. So a few lessons to try out something different is always a fun way to learn stress relief through a creative outlet.
- Bikes, Scooters, Hoverboards, Trampolines, Jump Ropes, Soccer or basketball goals, all good outdoor gift ideas for kids.
May Your Christmas be Full of Joy
I’m sure there a many, many more great non-screen, Christmas Gift Ideas out there, this is just a small list. I would love to hear your ideas for health-conscious gift giving, please share! I hope that your Christmas if full of family, friends, and memories that last a lifetime!